Saturday, April 27, 2013

Welcome!

So this is my nail blog. It's primary purpose is to legitimize my nail polish obsession in the belief that if I post and write about it it will give it more meaning. :-)

I'll write in greater detail about my path to polish obsession another day (we have guests coming over tonight so I'm really just procrastinating by starting this blog now) but this is the basic story. In high school I remember going through a nail phase that left me in great dispair. I have really thin, wobbly nails that were never good for much. I've been blessed with a shape and size of the nail bed that I'm actually really pleased with (what if one could say that about every detail on their body, huh? Haha) but the nails themselves don't seem to care to make the most of their potential. Furthermore I always had the bad habit of picking them, simply pulling off the nail whenever it would break, which they tended to do sideways. Sigh. I remember smearing all kinds of remedies on to them in the hope that it would help, but nothing ever came out of it. And so I gave up on growing my nails out.

Now, a couple of years ago I went to the US to study the last year of my BAs. Here I found access to a nail polish universe I¨d never even imagined existed, and even better, it was affordable. There a quality polish could be had for 6-8 dollars and not the 35-40 dollars they cost in Europe (where I'm from and living again now) and so I became hooked. 'Unfortunately' bf and I moved back to Europe after the US and Canada and now I'm back to the European, and even worse, Swiss prices. That means OPI goes for 23,90 francs (which is basically the same as USD) and Essie 19,90. Do I buy it? Hell yeah. But I'm becoming increasingly better at finding the weird sales where the good stuff can be bought at discounts, which is mostly the seasonal colors.

I also recently came across a couple of products that I honestly think have given my nail the strength they need to grow to a decent length. I'll review later, but they are Mavala Scientifique Nail Hardener and OPI's original Nail Envy (the green one). I have used Mavala Scientifique for about 3 weeks and haven't had any breakage (I'm a student so I don't work but do all our household chores and do a fair amount of typing). Nail Envy is brand new to me, but I have good feelings about it (maybe because I paid a whopping 39 francs for it and won't believe anything than that it works). I'll do a post where I show the progress during these first 3 weeks as I've taken pictures of my nails during this period.

Oh, and... right now my big highlight ahead of me is my trip to the US this June/July/August. I'm going on a summer school stay in Boston for 4 weeks and I hope to haul a major amount of polish back home afterwards! We're also having our summer vacay, but I don't think bf will have the patience or understanding to wait for me while I'm picking out colors haha so I'll do my shopping in advance. ;-) If anyone knows of good spots to buy polish in Cambridge and Boston let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment